Sunday, July 27, 2014

480

I woke up this morning and made myself a bagel. The family was still asleep after being up late last night watching the light show the monsoon put on, so I decided to peruse the interwebs and catch up on some news. I started out reading an article on Yahoo about the new technology in cars, and how they are vastly different from cars just 10 years ago, when I ran across the line "inching us ever closer to the self-driving car that many of us clamor for." Who are these people clamoring for self driving cars? Driving is an experience. I don't care if you like street racing, autocross, rally racing, rock crawling, trail running...it's all an orchestra of man and machine coming together for a moment and conquering a landscape. It's stress relief. It's so many things, but it should not be an autonomous experience. If you want "autodrive" ride a bus or train. Cars are meant to have a personal relationship with their driver, not be a transportation butler. This may be your cup of tea, but the whole automation of everything to me is a bit scary. With the NSA issues that have happened since Edward Snowden blew the whistle, we should be more afraid than ever to connect everything we own online and yet more and more things are being connected. I for one will still take a manual transmission and a carburator, you can have your auto butler, and I'll enjoy my ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment