Saturday, April 19, 2014

2856

I was fortunate enough to get a text from one of my best friend's today. We haven't seen each other in a few years. He is in the military and lives back East, and I live in Phoenix. He just so happens to be at Ft. Huachuca for the next month doing some training of some sort, so I fully plan to make the few hour drive down to see him. My friend is a few years younger than I am, but we grew up together like brothers. When I would spend my summers back east his family took me and my sister in as their own and that bond has never changed. He was sending me pictures of his to adorable girls and his son, as well as a few of him goofing around at work. I jokingly said "How could two such adorable girls come from such a ruffian like you?" and his reply made me think. "I have lot of sins to pay for man and God gave me just what I needed." This was far more deep than what I was expecting. I know what "sins" he is referring to. At least some of them. The last time we were able to spend time together we got lost in more bourbon than any two people should and the liquid truth began to flow. I know that he carries more on his shoulders than any man should. The U.S. Government has asked him to carry around the weight of atrocities he has carried out in their name and he has done so without question. He has been on the front lines, risked his life, jumped out of planes, taken and given life. He has sacrificed his own moral compass in the name of freedom for millions. He is one of the most admirable people I know. I am lucky to call him a friend and a brother. In addition to all he has done, he personally inspires me. I think about all of the above and much more and realize his mark on the world is far greater than anything I have done. I have done nothing to contribute to the history of mankind. I'm not talking about fame or infamy, but in retrospect the life I have lived has been rather selfish. I want to change this. I want to do something that will leave the world a better place than the one I was born into. Whether it be something that impacts my local community or something that changes the world, I want to leave some sort of positive before my time here is done. I have no idea what that may be, but I know that as long as I have this wonderful friend of mine to think about, I will continuously strive to do something better. So thank you Thomas, for not only all you have done for our country, but all you inspire in me. I hope I can make you as proud one day as you make us.

No comments:

Post a Comment